The Tamarin prover is a security protocol verification tool that
supports both falsification and unbounded verification in the symbolic model.
Security protocols are specified as multiset rewriting systems and analysed with respect to
(temporal) first-order properties and a message theory that models
Diffie-Hellman exponentiation combined with a user-defined
subterm-convergent rewriting theory.
Core team: David Basin,
Tamarin is a collaborative effort: see the manual for a more extensive overview of its development and additional contributors.
Current maintainers: Cas Cremers, Jannik Dreier, Ralf Sasse
The Tamarin user manual is availabe here.
We also have a GitHub repository for other teaching materials, such as tutorials.
Research Papers and Theses
- POST 2017 paper [PDF] : the paper presented at POST.
- CSF 2016 paper [PDF] : the paper presented at CSF.
- CCS 2015 paper [PDF] : the paper presented at CCS, also available as Extended Version with proofs.
- S&P 2014 paper [PDF] : the paper presented at S&P.
- CSF 2012 paper [PDF] : the paper presented at CSF.
- Extended version [PDF] : extended version of the above paper that contains the full proofs and additional examples.
- Meier's PhD thesis [PDF]: provides a detailed explanation of the theory and implementation of Tamarin including inductive invariants and type assertions.
- Schmidt's PhD thesis [PDF]: provides a detailed explanation of the theory and application of Tamarin including the reasoning about Diffie-Hellman exponentiation and bilinear pairing.
- Staub's bachelor thesis [PDF]: about the implementation of the original version of Tamarin's GUI.
- Keller's bachelor thesis [PDF]: about translating Alice&Bob protocol notation into Tamarin's input language, with implementation available [tar.gz].
- Stettler's bachelor thesis [PDF]: TLS1.3,v13 analysis and model for Tamarin [zip].
- Denzler's bachelor Thesis [PDF]: on how to automate the analysis of communications protocols with human errors.
- Lanzenberger's bachelor thesis [PDF]: 5G protocols analysis and model for Tamarin [zip].
Tamarin Attack Display
Sourcecode and Mailing List
The Tamarin prover is open-source software. Its code and issue tracker
are available at https://github.com/tamarin-prover/tamarin-prover. Its
low-volume mailing list for announcements and discussion is
For other inquiries (not bug reports!) you can reach the current maintainers of the Tamarin Prover via mail at
Installation instructions are in the manual.